Sunday, 26 February 2012

Aerobic Gymnastics and Woolsack Cushion

This week started off as one of those average weeks after a school holiday, where everything slips back into the normal routine.

Had a great WI meeting on Tuesday where we were shown how to make lovely chocolately treats for Mother's Day, Easter or whenever you fancy them. We were told about an Easter bonnet competition for next time too- I'll keep you posted!

I've been busy knitting my blanket strips, and have now finished number 6 and I'm on square 3 of 10 of strip 7 of 8...dare I start to think that the end is in sight?? Well, it could be, but I have made the classic mistake of starting another project again! This time, it's not my fault- it's my daughter's fault...

Friday was an unusual day in that Amy had permission to miss school so that she could compete in an Aerobic Gymnastic competition. We had to be in Reading for 8:30, so in order to allow for hold ups in the rush hour traffic on the motorway we left at 6am! Amy competes in a pair at RAC level, from a local club with a massive squad of really talented gymnasts, from recreational gymnasts through to Team GB Aerobic Gymnasts. She only started competing last September and with her partner have already won 2 golds. They do a 1:30 minute routine with a number of set moves, currently to the song 'Jai Ho'. Anyway, we arrived at 7:50am and had to stay until the end of the day, so it was important to have a portable knitting project with me, hence, it's her fault I started a new project!

I've mentioned the scheme before, it's part of the cultural Olympics for London 2012, set up by Woolsack, where the idea is for people to knit, crochet or felt cushions using British Wool to give to the participating Olympians at the summer and paralympics: http://www.woolsack.org/  I've already made one cushion so this is number two. Not sure if I'll manage any more, but you never know. I'm using Rowan Scottish Tweed and it will have grey/red on one side and grey/pink on the other, as that's all the wool I have left! I managed to get quite a bit done, sitting watching the gymnastics as I went.

Woolsack Cushion
 So, back to the competition, it was a tense affair this time as they had serious competition from a new pair from their own club. The new pair are a couple of years younger, but much smaller, lighter and more flexible which makes it much easier for them to hold moves- so the pressure was on. Amy's pair went on 2nd and did a great routine with no mistakes or points deductions, scoring 11.950. Their main rivals went on straight after and did an amazing debut routine scoring 11.900. That meant Amy and her partner won the gold by just 0.050 !! They were delighted with the win, especially as it was such a close run thing.

The winning pair!

Amy mid routine


Club mascot sporting a lovely hand knitted scarf in club colours made by a dedicated parent...
 The club went on to win 14 medals on Friday, only the first day of a three day competition. Saturday and Sunday are for the more advanced and international gymnasts- will update on the total haul next time!

The rest of the weekend has been pretty low key for us, as we were all exhausted after Friday's early start. I've mostly been knitting and gardening - well moving the last of the rubble from the garden after demolishing our old garage last year so I can reclaim it as a veggie plot.

Finally, I intend to put my feet up this afternoon and watch Liverpool win the Carling Cup at Wembley. If they don't win, it won't be mentioned in future posts...!

Have a good week everyone, especially to Jill and family (Norty Corner) who have a tough few days ahead yet xxx

4 comments:

  1. Well done you the team winning all those medals. They must have worked really hard to attain them. You managed to get a lot of knitting done while waiting! Hope you post photos of your finished cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their hard work is worth it when you see how much they enjoy the competitions, and winning is the cherry on top!
      Will post pictures of the cushion when it's done x

      Delete
  2. Gosh it's serious stuff this gymnastics lark Amy is in! Well done girls!

    Look at your neat knitting. Mine looks like a chicken did it!!!

    You're a no-reply-blogger so I couldn't email you back after you commented on my blog. There's a link at the bottom of my latest post that'll help you sort that out.

    Oh and welcome to blog land! It's good fun. I'll add you to my side bar!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have updated my account now so that I don't appear as a 'no reply blogger'- thanks for the tip xx

      Delete