Monday, 13 February 2012

Half Term...

Well, it's that time again, February half term. This time of year it's always been a struggle to find anything to do as the weather is usually pretty bad and someone is usually ill...So this year is different, as the daughter is now a teenager! I booked leave from work to be home to 'look after' her, only to find that for 2 of the 3 days I am only required in a chauffeuring capacity for approximately 30 minutes...what a marvellous use of holiday days! Anyway, today was the one day that we'll actually spend just in each other's company, and it has been lovely. Daughter decided she was going to cook tea for the two of us today, and planned her menu, so that she did the starter and dessert, while I did the main (she's not stupid!). After a trip to Waitrose to source all of the ingredients she spent some time creating dessert ready for several hours of chilling while I sat and knitted.
By tea-time, the kitchen was a flurry of activity, with the starter created first and eaten, then the main cooked and eaten followed by a rest before polishing of the dessert. As it was just the two of us today, we did it with slightly more style than our usual tea-on-a-tray-watching-the-tv:

Table for two

Starter (spiced veg with sauce)

Main- Jamie's bacon and pea pasta shells

Chocolate truffles served by my beautiful daughter!

Who needs a Valentine's meal tomorrow night after that? Not me! Which is just as well as when husband returns from his overnight trip to London tomorrow, he's off out for the evening playing snooker...

On the knitting front, I'm on square 8 of 10 on strip 5 of 8 now, so I'm making good progress. By the end of the week after my chauffeuring and some token trips to the gym and 2 days of work, I hope to be well onto strip 6 of 8. 

I have now finished reading George Orwell's '1984', which I really enjoyed. It's a strange book in that so much of it seems to be true, that it's actually quite scary. It really gets you thinking. Onto 'Call the Midwife', 'The Woman in Black' and 'The Secret Garden', which should be quite enough to keep me going!

Happy Valentine's day everyone

xxx












3 comments:

  1. Oh I love The Secret Garden and all time classic and favourite. The food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely special dinner. Are you hiring out your daughter at all, it all looks delicious...especially the truffles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that all looks delicious and sounds like a lovely mum and daughter day. My sister's got the same curtains as you! xx

    ReplyDelete