Monday, 19 March 2012

Back to normal life...

Well, the long awaited visit from Kath, Sarah and Rachel has been and gone. The days went by really quickly when we actually all wanted the time to go much slower. It was great catching up with them again, and so sad to see them leave. It's funny that although they are on Chris' side of the family I feel really close to them all. We may not have seen each other for years, but when you get chatting it's like there's been no gap. Amy got on really well with Rachel too, and it turns out they have much in common and have very similar characteristics, I know she's going to be feeling a bit flat for a while now too.

At Shakespeare's House in Stratford-upon-Avon
left to right: Sarah, Rachel, me

Sarah, Rachel and Kath

Kath is a very accomplished knitter and we had lovely chats about past, current and future projects. I sent her home with a copy of 'Knitting' magazine as the patterns were a bit much for me, but perfect for her. I've given her strict instructions to get on Ravelry too!

Although my knitting time has been a bit restricted for the last two weeks, I have finally finished knitting the strips to my blanket! I've also done the two long edges but now have to sew the eight strips together before I can knit the short edges. It's strange but the sewing is worrying me far more than the prospect of knitting such a big project (for me at least) ever did! Still, I am determined to finish it before the next Knit Club so that I can show it off. Pictures will follow when it's completed.

I'm still plodding with my Woolsack cushion too, almost finished the first side...I need to get it done soon as I want to start on baby boy booties for my cousin and a work colleague, both are due in May, so I need to get a move on.

I spend a lot of time worrying about my weight and making well meaning but ultimately futile attempts to loose weight. However, I am a focused woman now and have rejoined Weight Watchers online. I didn't really want to at first, as I've done it in the past and although it's worked for a while, when I've stopped I end up back at square one again (if not worse). This time though, I'm already back into a good exercise routine, have started walking much more and I am determined. I have a LONG way to go to get to my goal, but I've just had my first week's weigh in and I've lost 6lbs!!! It is such a good feeling to be making progress- I know it's going to take my a long time and there will be set backs, so I'll remember the excitement I felt this morning when I saw that I'd made such a good start. I'm not going to bore you each week with my news, but had to share the first week.

Liverpool had a great result yesterday too, beating Stoke 2-1 to move into the semi-finals of the FA Cup...fingers will be tightly crossed now!

I haven't started on my book of the month yet (The Grapes of Wrath), but I have finished 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt. I enjoyed it, there were some really funny bits, but it was quite odd. I've now started on some chick-lit 'Laura's handmade life' by Amanda Addison, which is dangerous as it's making me want to sew...my work book club will be reading 'How to be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran next, so I await that with baited breath...

Have a great week everyone, enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

xxx

1 comment:

  1. yay fantastic news on your terrific start to weight watchers... i am sooooooo chuffed for you!!! keep up the good work Ali and keep on knitting, cant wait to see your finished project xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete