Monday, 26 March 2012

Beautiful weather, the Garden & Sports Relief

Beautiful weather, the Garden & Sports Relief

I am struggling to believe that we're actually still in March! The weather has been so gorgeous for the last few days it's easy to forget that the clocks have only just gone forward!

We have made the most of the weather though by tackling the garden. It's been hard to find time over the last few weeks, but with such beautiful weather it was impossible not to get out and do some tidying. We've made progress with reducing the width of the border in the back garden and started to lengthen it too. I've finally (and belatedly) cut back my raspberry canes and given a few of shrubs a well needed haricut. Most of the plants that I dug up and put in pots to overwinter seem to have survived as it was so mild, but I am going to be needing a lot more to fill the border when it's done. I feel a trip to the garden centre coming on next week! At the moment the garden looks quite desolate still, with lots of soil, piles of wood everywhere and an empty greenhouse- hence no photos yet. We have next week off work, so hopefully there will be a great improvement soon and I will be getting my veggie beds planted up too.

This year Amy asked if we could enter the Sport Relief mile which is run along the seafront. I signed us up thinking what a nice mother/ daughter activity it would be, only to be told a little while later, 'I'm not running with you, I'm running with my friends!'...so much for that plan! I resigned myself to running alone, but found that the same thing had happened to her friend's mum, so we ran together, picking up another mum as we arrived. It was a beautiful day, warm with a little breeze, and the seafront was packed with people. I was pleased to complete my mile, without stopping, in just over 10 minutes- Roger Bannister wouldn't be impressed, but that's not bad for me!


the 'neon fairies' on their way to the start

Me and Amy after the run with our medals!

Craft-wise I have done nothing this week. No knitting, no sewing anything together. Nothing! Needless to say, I still have to do the last bit on my blanket- the worst bit is the finishing off, but I will get there...

I have been doing plenty of reading this week- I have to confess that I've not been inspired to read 'The Grapes of Wrath' yet, so it's on the back burner for a while. Instead I've been doing chick-lit...I finished 'Laura's Handmade Life' and 'Girl on the Run' by Jane Costello and I'm part way through the latest teen sensation 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. We went to see the movie of 'The Hunger Games' on Saturday with friends as the girls were all desperate to go. Although it was a bit predictable in places I did enjoy it and it is a good story.

It was my Dad's birthday yesterday, so Amy baked him a cake. They had to devise their own flavours for a cake at school a couple of weeks ago, and it was so nice she replicated it! It was a honey sponge cake with lemon buttercream- lovely!

Amy's honey and lemon cake

Well, that's me done for now. Although the sun is still shining I have a mountain of ironing to do as I did lots of washing so it could hang outside to dry over the weekend.

Have a great week and enjoy the weather while it's here!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment