Saturday, 7 April 2012

Easter Holidays

Well, I should have put money on it. Last week was glorious weather, I was at work and school was on. This week, the weather is cold and dreary, there's no school and we both have the week off, with the primary aim of sorting out the garden...

Needless to say, we haven't achieved any where near as much as we wanted to, as the pictures below prove! It's still more of a bomb site than a garden...there is still much to do...We have bought a lot of plants for the long border (newly lengthened and narrowed) but due to the hard frost they are sheltering in the garage! Chris has started to build a small raised herb garden next to the house, my veg patch is cleared of weeds but now needs digging properly, the planters need filling with quality soil and seeds sown, the reduced size greenhouse needs to be fixed and positioned into the ground; the area at the end of the garden where Amy's trampoline used to be needs to be turfed; the raspberry canes by the wall need a good tidy up and new ones added to go all the way along the wall when the storage box is moved, and finally we need to take up and then re-lay a new patio...I feel it could be a while longer before I can share the 'after' pictures!


My beautiful back garden

The new raised herb bed under construction

My veg patch and newly tiny greenhouse (Chris cut it in half!!!)

Long border- it will have plants in it soon

There is some life in the garden- beautiful blossom
On the crafting front, I still have a mental block about sewing my blanket together (but I am going to finish it by next Saturday for knit club come hell or highwater), but I have done some more of my Woolsack cushion. It's not very adventurous, just grey/red on one side and grey/pink on the other, knitted in Rowan Scottish Tweed DK.


In getting on with this, if you look over to the right of my page, you'll see on my 'Knit meter' that I've now knitted over 1600m this year- that's over a mile!! I realise that compared to a lot of people I know, that isn't much, but I'm pleased...I wonder how many miles I'll do this year? I've already got my eye on a couple of things to do, but I need to finish the blanket first, then the cushion, then make a Harry Hill knitted character for Moira at work who is retiring in May (she's always wanted one apparently!) and some baby booties for my cousin's baby which is due in 4 weeks time before I can start anything else! I saw a gorgeous gingham design in the latest Debbie Bliss magazine too....My new WI Life magazine arrived on Thursday, complete with a knitting pattern for knitted 'paper' chains designed by my friend Pickle-Lily- it looks great!

I had an invitation this week- my road is having a street party for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. I'm really pleased as we had one when Amy was small (probably for the Golden Jubilee!) and it was fantastic having the road shut to traffic, no parked cars, chatting to neighbours you don't normally even see and for Amy to be able to play outside without the risk of being run over! It made me very nostaglic for the 'olden days' back when I was able to play out like that. I think I might try to make some bunting for the Jubilee celebrations too, so need to speak to my lovely friend Mrs D, who has made some beautiful springtime bunting, for some sewing tips!

Yesterday we had a quick but lovely visit from our friends that moved to Portugal about 8 years ago. They've had an eventful time there setting up a business and building a house. The boys are bilingual going to local schools and have settled really well. They popped in on their way from Torquay to Kendal, and although it was just an hour it was great to see them.


Amy, Lewis and Nicky

Me and Julie

It must be the time to be catching up, as tonight we're dining at 'The Norty Corner' which I'm sure will be blogged about by one of us! It's going to be a lovely night.

As for my reading list, I have to confess, I deferred reading 'The Grapes of Wrath' for a while as I wasn't in the mood. Instead I read the whole of the 'Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins in a week and really enjoyed them. I've also read 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams' by Jenny Colgan- a fab chick lit read! Now it's back to the heavy stuff, and my April book of the month is 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf.

Happy Easter all!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment