Monday, 23 April 2012

Weekly Round-up

It's the calm after the school holidays and everything is back to normal. Much as I love the school holidays, when I still have to work too, it's just hard and means my routine goes out of the window. Anyway, order has been restored.

The garden is improving bit by bit, but at a much slower pace than we'd hoped for- the weather has just been awful. Still, the herb bed is now finished and planted, but the digging and re-grading continues slowly. My biggest concern is that my veggie beds aren't ready yet and I have nowehere to sow my seeds in preparation since the greenhouse was cruelly cut in two- no workbenches for seed trays and the tiny space is full of perennials waiting to go into the borders...Still, we have finally chosen some new patio slabs, so hopefully we can get those ordered and delivered ready for the May Day bank holiday weekend, along with a tonne of top soil and quite a  lot of turf! You have been warned- it will rain now!

Digging a hole in the garden- it doesn't take long before you hit the sand layer- quality soil. That's what you get for living close to the beach!

We have wildlife amongst the weeds

Hailstones - we had a massive hail storm on Friday night and they were still all over the garden on Saturday morning

The herb bed- it looks sparse with little plants, but they'll soon grow

Last Tuesday I missed my monthly WI meeting (and the reports I got back have all been that it was a great one!). I wouldn't normally miss it, but we went to see David Ford play a gig in Bath. David Ford is an amazing singer/songwriter and almost completely under the radar, so you've probably never heard of him. He is well worth a few minutes of your time if you want to look at his website: http://www.davidfordmusic.com/ or look him up on you tube. It was a fab night, awful weather on the way to Bath, but well worth it!

Rainbow on the way to Bath
David Ford

Knitting wise, I've been recovering from the blanket, but I have started on a pair of bootees for my Cousin's baby which is due next month. Not much to show so far, but I aim to finish them in a week or so, just in case of an early arrival! I have also finished the Woolsack cushion, so that just needs sewing together, writing a label and posting it off.

Books- well I still haven't read much of Mrs Dalloway, in fact the classics just aren't doing it for me at the moment. I have just read 'Fifty Shades of Grey' by E L James, which I was told was the next big thing, a more 'grown up' version of Twilight (I don't mean that in a bad way as I adore Twilight). Grown up it certainly is, quite an eye opener and not for the feint hearted! I'm saying no more than that!!

Have a good week
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment