Monday, 7 May 2012

May Day Bank Holiday

The perfect time of year to get out into the garden and get on with all those jobs that need doing...

Well, we are making progress, although it has been a bit slower than we'd hoped for, mainly due to the appalling weather that we seem to get every weekend! This week we had a tonne of topsoil delivered so that we could level up the back garden before laying new turf. Chris wheel-barrowed it from the front garden to the back, then we dug and weeded for hours before we could actually lay the turf. It would've been perfect weather to do this on Sunday, but we had to go to my uncle's surprise 50th birthday party in the afternoon. I managed to convince another uncle (who has a chainsaw) to come over next week to help us get rid of the tree stump at the bottom of the garden. Don't get me wrong, the party was lovely, but it was a missed oppurtunity as far as the weather went...but we carried on regardless today, May Day Bank Holiday...


Taken from inside as I managed to run in just in time- pay careful attention to the shed at the end of the garden...

Chris had to take shelter in the shed!

It rained quite a bit...

Then the sun came out just a few minutes later...

See the rain evaporating from our neighbour's summerhouse roof in the sunshine?

I managed to get some raspberries replanted in a cleared area next to the existing raspberry bushes, so that was good news! That's all we can do now, not only is it still pouring with rain again, but we need more topsoil (about another 2 tonnes) to get everything level! I will be able to start planting my flowers in the borders and my veg in the raised beds then. Hurrah!

I am not going to mention any football related news this week. I'm too upset.

Knitting news- Harry Hill's knitted character has a head, a body and one leg so far, so we're well on track for the end of the month.

Book news- I have finished the very racy 'Fifty Shades of Grey', 'Fifty Shades Darker' and 'Fifty Shades Freed' by EL James. Not quite what I'd been led to believe, it's making me blush just thinking about it! I'm almost half way through the very different 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf now too. My next classic will be the 'Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

That's all for now, I'm going to finish the bank holiday weekend on a high by doing the ironing!

Have a good week all
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment