Sunday, 24 June 2012

Medals and round-up

Please forgive my blog today- I'm in proud Mum mode...

On Friday the Welsh Open Aerobic Gymnastics Championships started at the Sport Wales National Centre in Cardiff. It's a 3 day event, starting with the Recreational level (RAC) on Friday, National level (NAC) on Saturday and International level (FIG) on Sunday. Amy was there representing her club, Weston Aerobic Gymnastics, on Friday at RAC level, in two categories, pairs and group (six team).

Weston took the biggest team on the Friday, and took home lots of medals in the different age levels and categories. Amy and her partner Jenny competed first in the pairs competition and scored a personal best of 13.400! This compared to a previous PB of 12.450, so they've come a long way. They were up against a pair from another gym club (not being mean, we assumed they'd get 3rd place, such is the level of Weston!) and another pair from Weston. These were a mixed pair, Ben and Charlotte, who are great. They are moving up a level to NAC shortly, so it was quite competitive between them and Amy & Jenny. Unfortunately this time round, Ben and Charlotte got the better of Amy and Jenny, scoring 13.450, a PB for them too.


Amy & Jenny at the start of their routine

Silver for Amy & Jenny, gold for Ben & Charlotte
Amy and Jenny then had just 10 minutes before they were on the floor again competing in the six team. This was a first for both Weston and RAC level competitions having a six team, as it is hard to choreograph a routine for 6 gymnasts at this level. Although they weren't competing against anyone else, they did a fantastic routine which the whole crowd watched, as it's quite something to see so many on the floor at one time! They did a brilliant routine and scored 12.325 which they were delighted with, getting themselves a gold medal.

Start of the six team routine, Amy is standing on the right!


Gold medalists! Amy is in the front row, on the left
It was a great day, long and tiring, but great none-the-less. Weston's coaches and elite gymnasts were back for another two days of competition after that, while we came home to recover. Big thanks to all the coaches for producing such amazing gymnasts!!

Next competition is the Club Championships in a few weeks time where they compete individually...stay tuned.

Meanwhile, in the garden, there has been very little progress on the patio due to the weekends being wet for the last month. My veggies are all growing well though, with very little slug and snail damage considering how wet it has been. The whole garden could do with some sunshine now though! Bizarely, I was out pottering yesterday when I looked at my autumn fruiting raspberries and noticed some ripe ones! There were only 3, so I picked them and ate them, but there are plenty more to come, which will be frozen until there's enough for jam making.


Yum!
Knit-wise I've finished one side of cushion number 3 for Woolsack and am getting on well with the second side, so I'm on schedule to finish this week. I'll post a photo when it's done. I've just bought some more yarn for my next project, the rather unseasonal hot water bottle cover I'll be making for the local flower show's craft section. I've already got a hat and gloves done for 2 categories. I went to Knit Club at Suzie's Wool Sanctuary yesterday and caught up with my lovely knitty friends. Twenty one of us squeezed into Suzie's lounge and kitchen for 3 hours of knitting- bliss! I love going and seeing the beautiful projects (now including the dark art of crochet) that people create on such a regular basis, they are truly inspirational and slightly mad ladies!!

I've been reading loads lately, mainly chick-lit by Trisha Astley, but I've also made a start on my classic of the month 'Catch 22' and my work book club selection 'The Death Relic' by Chris Kusneski, so there's plenty to keep me busy!

Finally, my father-in-law's operation went well, although he is now minus a spleen as well as his stomach, as the stomach turned out to be cancerous too. He's had a few complications, the latest meaning a pint of fluid being drained from one lung- which if left any longer could've meant him drowning from the internal fluids. It's scary what can happen, but at least that's all behind him now, and he's starting to make good progress so will hopefully be out of hospital by the end of the week.

Have a lovely week all, here's hoping for a bit of sunshine before the end of the month too!

No comments:

Post a Comment