Monday, 16 July 2012

News round-up

Well, it has to be said this is one of the strangest summers ever. Rain. Rain. Rain....it doesn't seem like it will ever stop. Needless to say, the garden is struggling with an excess of water- it seems as if the plants are just about holding on although some have 'drowned' and rotted off. The plants in my mini greenhouse are more fortunate, but not doing so well because there's no warmth- I'm having leave the door shut all the time to keep the little warmth in. There are a few tiny green tomatoes now and the cucumber plants are flowering, but it's not going to be a bumper year. Almost half  of my broad bean plants have rotted away to nothing, although I was able to pick my first pod this week:
My first broad bean pod- it was delicious!
The runner beans and french beans are hanging in there and growing slowly, as are the potatoes, purple sprouting broccoli and onions. Strangley though, my raspberries are doing well, and I have harvested almost a freezer bag full so far. Is this why they grow them in Scotland?!

The patio is getting nearer to completion, and is currently under a large black tarpaulin to protect yesterday's addition from the torrential rain we have again today. To say that Chris will be glad when it's finished is the understatement of the year!

Onto more positive news...Amy competed in a her club's gym competition this weekend, did a great routine of floor elements, beam, vault and springboard and won a silver medal. Her friends also competed in different categories and got a gold and bronze:

L-R: bronze, gold and silver!
Knitting wise, it's been perfect weather, after all when it's cold and wet, what better way to spend your evening is there? I've finished cushion No3 for Woolsack now (http://www.woolsack.org/)

Cushion no3 'Fibonacci stripes' knitted in Rowan Scottish Tweed
I'm hoping to be able to present it to an athlete tomorrow...I'll have a separate post for that if it happens. I'm following Woolsack on twitter too, and it's fantastic to see the messages that are coming in from the athletes as they receive their cushions. If you want to follow to it's: @WoolsackUK . I'm now onto cushion No4 and have even roped my Mum in to make one too. I started mine on Saturday and have done half of one side so far in a mix of donated British wool that I got from Nicky Butler at Woolsack. I've also made a hot water bottle cover as an entry for the upcoming flower show that I enter. I'm really pleased with it, I learnt a new stitch (a 'cobnut' stitch) and I loved the yarn, a Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which was gorgeous to knit with.

Hot water bottle cover knitted in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
I went to Suzie's knit club at The Wool Sanctuary on Saturday, which was lovely as usual. I have finally taken the plunge and committed to go on a knit club holiday on Novemeber with her and my fellow nkit club members. We're staying at Kirstie Allsop's house in Devon, and I'll be there for a long weekend. It sounds fab and I'm very excited!

Finally, I wanted to show you the lovely birthday present I had from my friend Mrs Norton from over at the Norty Corner. She gave the gift in a cardboard box with strict instructions to be careful when opening it, as it was very delicate:

A tin can with holes in it!
It's only when you put a tea light inside that you can see it in all it's glory!


Isn't it fab? If you can't tune your eyes in to see the picture, it's of Edward and Bella from Twilight (did I ever mention before that I really love the Twilight series??!). Thank-you Mrs N!!

Well that's about it for now, but I'll hopefully have another Woolsack update later in the week if it all goes to plan. Have a good week despite the weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment