Monday, 26 November 2012

Meadowgate Knitclub weekend - WOW

I have just come back from one of the best weekends ever! The knit club at The Wool Sanctuary that I go to every month run by the lovely Suzie Johnson rent out Kirstie Allsopp's Devon holiday home, 'Meadowgate' for a holiday each year. This is the first time I've been able to go, and it was fantastic! I went from Friday evening to Monday morning.

Meadowgate is in North Devon, near a village called 'Welcombe'. The only drawback to it, is that it is accessed by single lane 'roads' (tracks would be a more acurate description) up and down steep hills, sharp corners...and we arrived in the dark, making it a rather terrifying end to an otherwise easy journey. Fortunately I car shared with three other knitters, and am so grateful to Dee for driving. She was very stressed when we finally arrived, but was soon enveloped by the lovely warm house and  relaxed.

Meadowgate
I tried to take pictures unobtrusively as everyone was there to chill out, relax and knit. Mostly we just lounged around in PJs unless venturing to the world outside our lovely cocoon. Here's a selection, some from my phone, some from my camera!


The tv/ playroom

The snug/ study/ drawing room

Fire screen in the twin bedroom

Shell mirror in the main bathroom
Shelving unit in the main bathroom


Beautiful lantern light on the landing


The kitchen

The bedroom in the annexe

Suzie Johnson's original draught excluder made for Kirstie in the tv series 'Kirstie's Homemade Home'

The perfect chair for knitting in the kitchen

The house is beautifully furnished and decorated, with many items still there that are instantly recognisable from Kirstie's tv series and book 'Kirsties Handmade Home'  ( http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kirsties-homemade-home/episode-guide/series-1 ). There are 3 double bedrooms, 1 twin room and a room with 4 bunk beds in the main house and 1 double bedroom in the annexe. I shared a beautiful double room:


'My' room

Lovely vintage mirror and chest of drawers in my room

'My' room

Although we all know each other from knit club, most of us don't know each other outside of that. We spent nearly all of our time knitting, with a bit of crocheting and quilting thrown in for good measure. When we weren't knitting, we were eating, drinking, chatting and laughing - it was a great mix of 14 women for the weekend, with some changing places on Monday for more ladies to arrive. Whilst I was there I did some more of the baby blanket (but there's loads more to do, so pictures another time), knitted a Christmas wreath which just needs 'stuffing' with some foam pipe lagging and making pompoms to attach, pictures to follow ( http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hampstead-wreath ) and a Christmas Stocking from 'Knit Today' magazine ( http://www.knit-today.com/ ) which I finished in the car on the way home (thanks for the lift Cuckoo)! It just needs a ribbon hanging loop now:


My first ever Christmas stocking

The weather for the weekend was pretty awful, torrential rain and howling winds, as it was for the rest of the country, but I did manage a quick trip to the beach in a dry hour on Sunday morning with Jean. I am SO glad I did, the beach was beautiful - windswept, desolate and had the most amazing rocks! I have studied Geology at the OU and although I'm not studying at the moment, I still love my rocks!

Lovely rocks...


The beautiful, desolate beach

The normally tiny waterfall onto the beach was a flood swollen torrent!

OMG! Look at the strata! Look at the folding...sedimentary heaven...


Stepping stones across the flood swollen stream...not today thanks!

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend away from the real world...perfect escapism...I can't wait to go again. Thanks Suzie  xxx

Off to make two more stockings, as Chris really liked it and thinks we should have one each!

No comments:

Post a Comment