Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Happy New Year!

Is it really 2013 already?!

I'm not sure where the last month went, but it's gone by in a flash. So much preparation for Christmas and Amy's birthday, and then before you even realise it, they've happened already!


Amy blowing out her birthday candles

Amy with her favourite Christmas present, a signed Louis Smith photo!

Christmas day: Dad, my brother David, Amy, me and Mum

We were fortunate this Christmas to avoid the sickness bug that was doing the rounds, so just had the obligatory coughs and colds. We had a lovely break though, and for the first time ever I took holiday from work just before Christmas and didn't go back until January 2nd, so had a lovely long break.

I was busy on the knitting front in the run up to Christmas. I made three stockings in the end, Chris had the traditional one, Amy chose to have a pink/deep purple/blue one and I had mauve/pink/blue one made from the remnants from my Debbie Bliss blanket. They looked lovely haging up on the fireplace!


I also made a 'Hampstead Wreath' from a pattern I found on Ravelry(http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hampstead-wreath) I was really pleased with how it came out, and it was a very quick and easy make.



My final Christmas knit was a Suzie Johnson house for my lovely friend Jill. Instead of stuffing it as a doorstop/ ornament, I filled it with choccies! This is the 6th house I've made but the first where I've done it properly and used the intarsia technique for the windows- such a proud achievement!



I also made a start on a Debbie Bliss baby blanket in Baby Cashmerino. It's for Chris' work friend, Christos and his wife Yvonne who are expecting their first baby, a boy, this month. I'm now half way through it, so am hoping that the baby stays put a little bit longer! Photos will follow when it's finished.

For Christmas I was given a lovely little gadget that I asked for, it's called a 'Fitbit 1' and is a clever pedometer type thing! It measures steps, distance travelled, calories burnt and floors climbed each day and downloads the data for you, sets you challenges and encorages you to be a bit more active. It can also monitor your sleep patterns, but I haven't fathomed that yet. I'm trying for 10,000 steps a day, which is a bit of an ask most days working in an office then knitting/reading when I get home, but I am making the effort to walk more, which is the whole point! We've had some nice family walks already:





I've sorted myself a new reading challenge for this year, and will be starting with 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Murier. I have to finish reading 'The Fellowship of the Ring' first though...I went (twice) to see 'The Hobbit' before Christmas and have fallen head over heels in love with Middle Earth again, re-read 'The Hobbit' then went straight onto Fellowship...and I'm off there again now!

1 comment:

  1. Its been ages since i logged onto the bloggin and what a treat to see 2 posts by you and a mention in this one. Thank you so much for my lovely house you just cant beat handmade gifts especially ones that have been made so beautifully . Keep up with all the fab blogs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete