Tuesday, 29 January 2013

January round-up

Well, it's almost the end of January and this is only my second post of the year...very shoddy!

January is always a tricky month, and this one was no different, the after Christmas/birthday/New Year hangover lingered a while, the coughs and colds have done the rounds and the money was spent before the end of the month!

On a positive note though, we had snow! We often miss snow even when it's been forecast as we're on the coast, but this month we got it! It came down thick and fast in the early hours of Friday 18th, and there was enough for Amy's school to be cancelled in the morning. I still went to work, it's only a 20 minute walk on the flat from home to work, so we all walked into town along the beach, which looks really bizarre covered in snow. I took lots of pictures as the snow makes everything look so nice!

The Front Garden as the snow was falling thick and fast

The Front Garden

The Back Garden



The Beach!

Snowball attack!

Weston Beach Friday 18 January as I walked to work, the pier is just about visible!

You're never too old to make a Snow Angel...

...or build a snowman!

I got a 'fit bit one' for Christmas, a computerised pedometery thingy. I love it! I'm aiming to walk 10,000 steps a day, and on the whole I'm managing it. I no longer take the car to work if the weather looks a bit iffy, I just change when I get there. At weekends and my day off I've been going out on different walks in and around town. It's been really good to get out and I've enjoyed it lots.


Brean Down from Weston Beach

Grove Park

Chris in Grove Park

Beautiful snowy trees in the park

Looking upwards at the snowy branches

Weston Beach a line of snow left after the tide!

Never seen so many shells on the beach before

Lots of shells on the beach

I've now finished the baby pram blanket I was knitting, and with perfect timing (for me that is, not his parents as he was 13 days late) baby Xavian arrived this weekend. Chris will take the blanket when he sees them all next week. I'm now knitting a little rabbit to match it.



Knitted in Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in white, blue and green with a grey edging



Amy took part in a lovely gym event 'Gymfusion' which was held in Taunton. It's not a competition, more of an exhibition by different codes of gymnastics all together. Amy's club did three routines, she was in one of them. They were all routines I've seen before, but I never grow tired of them. They all worked really hard in adapting the routines to cover for absences and if you weren't aware of that fact before, you'd never have guessed. The other clubs were amazing too, lots of tumbling and acrobatics from a wide range of ages of gymnast. As if that wasn't enough, there were also 4 gymnasts from the GB 2012 Olympic teams there, and Amy (along with lots of other eager gymnasts) got their autographs to finish up a great afternoon.

Book-wise, I've been reading 'The Fellowship of the Ring' and 'The Two Towers' this month because of my Tolkien phase, also 'The Greatcoat' by Helen Dunmore as my work's bookclub pick. I was supposed to read 'Rebecca' this month too, but that's been slightly delayed as I went to Middle Earth! Next month I'm doing the pick for work and it's going to be 'The Art of Fielding' by Chad Harbach and I also have 'The 100 year old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson to read. Should keep me busy for a while....

That will do for now...off for a hot Ribena, the best cure for the common cold!

PS: I'm not talking about the football, so don't ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment